View Single Post
Old 09-23-2022, 05:56 AM
nene
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2020

Originally Posted by Myfingershurt View Post
Ah. I guess so. I thought it was gonna be an option. My bad.
Very interesting even for Boeing drivers not inclined to open the link. Never seen a variant that gets wider (inside) and longer, but lighter than previous variants.

(from the article)

"Airbus is planning to transition the A350-900 and -1000 to what it calls a “new production standard” (NPS) between now and 2024, reducing airframe weight, improving performance and making the cabin longer — and wider.

After developing this story in 2019 and confirming it last year, Runway Girl Network spoke in depth with Airbus’ vice president of cabin marketing Ingo Wuggetzer and head of aircraft interiors marketing Anaïs Marzo, diving into substantial detail about the plans.

At the airframe level, the NPS A350s bring a significant weight reduction of up to 1.2t, a 3t maximum takeoff weight increase, and enhanced performance. In the cabin, they offer an extra 35” of cabin length from moving the rear bulkhead and adjusting the arrangement of the flight deck, forward crew rest and forward monuments — and, most controversially, expect to add up to thirty extra seats gained from a four-inch wider cabin, secured by changing the way the airframe itself is constructed and connected.

The NPS’ weight reduction comes, Anaïs Marzo says, “because we’ve been optimising structures and systems: for example, brackets, electrical systems, and wiring, and also increasing the use of advanced materials. This means basically more carbon fibre use, mainly in the fuselage, as well as the wings.”

In terms of performance, Marzo emphasises, “there is no physical change to the aeroplane. In fact, there is a software change in order to improve the way in which you can control flaps during takeoff, and increasing the number of positions, in order to improve performance at challenging airports or in difficult conditions.”

A system enabling faster landing gear retraction also increases performance, and overall the maximum takeoff weight increases from 280–283t on the A350-900 and 316–319t on the A350-1000."