View Single Post
Old 09-23-2022, 05:07 PM
MaxQ
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009

Originally Posted by MaxQ View Post
Thought I would toss this out for any who may be interested.

If you google 'YouTube Timothy Snyder The Making of Modern Ukraine' the videos of this class he is teaching at Yale should come up. So far there are 5 available. They run from 46 minutes to one that is 51 something minutes.
I don't know how many lectures there will be in total. I have only watched the first two. They are undergraduate level. From comments to students in the class, I suspect it is tailored for Freshmen.

I have read a few of Snyders books and been impressed. I offer no opinion on his lecturing talents or the quality of the course.
That being said, Snyder is an expert on the History and politics of this part of the world and speaks multiple Slavic languages as well as (I think) Yiddish. That alone affords him insight that is elusive to most in the West.

I know that most are not interested enough to devote multiple hours to watch these lectures. Life makes other demands on our time. I thought I would toss it out there for any whom may be curious enough to learn a bit more than one gets from APC or the opinion 24 news channel of choice.
For what it's worth.
I just watched lecture 3. It addresses some of the misunderstandings about the historical relationship of Ukraine and Russia.
In my opinion if time is crunched and you have an interest, skip the first 2 lectures and watch this one.