View Single Post
Old 03-28-2008, 10:46 AM
ghilis101
La Familia Delta

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: B-717 FO / C-17 AC

Originally Posted by FlyJSH View Post
Out of curiosity, do some airlines record flap and gear extensions in addition to hours and cycles. Yeah, it isn't standard, but I would rather dirty up early than get spun a couple times.
my brother tells me at Emirates they record everything. Your entire profile from engine start to shutdown, climb/descent rates, speed limits, when you extend flaps/gear, everything. its recorded and sent to operations real-time probably via some acars-like system. apparently people get called to the carpet every once in a while to explain why they had excessive decent rates or configured early, overspeeds, etc. cant lie at all at that company they can see everything you do.

as for the answer to your question, i doubt they record flap cycles because theres no real flap cycle per se. many airplanes land at 2 flap settings depending on conditions - dc-10 flaps 35 or 50, many boeings flaps 25 or 30, airbus flaps 3 or full, so not sure. plus people move flaps on the ground for various reasons, maintence, deicing, etc, so its not accurate to track.

gear cycles are probably assumed 1 per leg.