View Single Post
Old 10-04-2022, 08:58 PM
AirBear
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: Retired NJA & AA

Originally Posted by starphisone View Post
Been reading through about as much as I can on these pages. Passed the “phone interview” and invited to hiring expo. Currently on the commuting grind and if I stay 121 whenever and wherever I can go will still be commuting until senior enough to hold where I live. Obviously with enough seniority life gets better and the money is great and the more I read through some of these threads the crazier it seems to leave 121 for fractionals, at the end of the day QOL is most important to me. Anyone on here that can maybe talk about leaving 121 for Netjets? Glad they did it and happy? Regret it and trying to get back?
Much appreciated!
There's plenty of threads about airlines vs. fractional. One of these days I need to copy all the pros/cons where I can just paste it into a reply.
I was flying 121 from 1989 to 2005 and had to commute most of that time. Then I did NJA from 2005-2017.

NetJets is owned by Berkshire Hathaway. Deep pockets. Fairly recession proof, but not the 2008 disaster. Not dealing with commuting is HUGE. 7 day trips can get old as do frequent circadian rhythm jumps. In 2007 I was close to making Captain at NJA when USAirways recalled me. I passed and took early retirement from them. Looking over my shoulder I did better financially at NJA than if I'd accepted recall. And when I bailed on medical in 2017 at age 60 I had the Union's LOM plan which kicked in after my 3 years of disability from NJA. The benefit from the LOM will keep coming until I'm 68.5. And it's tax free as long as you didn't deduct the premiums from your taxes.

Now if I had to choose between being a lineholder here in CLT with AA or doing NetJets that'd be a more difficult call. There were a few times where I could hold CLT, once as the #2 B727FE on reserve and years later as an A320FO. Being a lineholder or senior reserve when you live 20 minutes from the airport is very nice. The problem is I'd have to stay as an F/O a long time at AA before I could hold Captain in CLT.

Seniority is not as critical at NJA as it is at airlines. Basically it matters for vacation dates, bidding bigger jets, bidding a start day on the 7/7, and of course Captain upgrade. Airlines it really matters because of bidding a line and being able to drop/add trips. With seniority you do have a lot more control over your schedule at an airline. Control over your schedule is one of the biggest drawbacks to Fractional vs. Airlines.