View Single Post
Old 10-06-2022, 12:56 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Diverb View Post
I will be 51 when I retire from my current career and plan on heading to the regionals or Part 135. How do the regionals feel about hiring a older pilot who will likely NOT leave them for a major or ULCC? I don't have the hours/experience to try to chase a major airline nor the years left in flying, so I will be happy with a job at a regional living in base for the remainder of my 14 years of eligibility. I guess what I'm asking is I'm sure the regionals prefer to see their pilots move on after a few years so they can continue filling the seats with cheaper labor vs having a pilot who's been there for years earning at a higher pay scale.
Right now the regionals just don't care about ANYTHING but get pilots in seats... they are in survival mode. All of the usual considerations like ease of training, likelyhood of staying long enough to get an ROI, or staying too long and get expensive, are off the table. They will hire you.

For the foreseeable future they would actually like you to stay, as I said they are desperate. That may not not be good QOL though if they have to work people like dogs indefinitely.

Leaving for a major up to age 55 is entirely reasonable and realistic at this point. They'll still hire even after age 60 but you probably want longer than that to pay your dues and enjoy some QOL.

Best thing at your age would probably be to get 1000 hours 121 regional and then go to a LCC in your early fifties. They will hire you, probably even with less than 1000 turbine. Also apply to the legacies, if you can get called with low time (some do) then you'll enjoy fast seniority progression due to retirements and could easily spend your last five years as a senior and well paid NB CA.