Old 03-29-2008, 03:50 AM
Jon7988
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: CRJ-900 F/O

I heard ATP doesnt do initial CFI's anymore unless you sign contract to work for them, does anyone know if thats true? I finished about a year ago with same results as above, some made it some didnt. We had more like a 75% pass rate in my group which was odd. I'm not taking anyones side because Ive seen both sides a lot, but no one forces these students to go into a checkride unprepared. Overall its the final decision of the student to sign the 87-10, hand over the cash, and start the test. I totally agree with everyone that beleives a student shouldnt be signed off until properly prepared but pushy/unprepared instructors at ATP are not the problem.

The ATP program does require a lot of self study, I basically taught myself all the ground for my instrument. My instructor (who is still there so I will not name the location)was very little help, by the end of the program I was a better pilot by leaps and bounds compared to her. Me and my buddy (roommate)sorta teamed up and helped each other with everything and neither me or him ever failed a checkride. For those about to start ATP or currently enrolled, dont be shy, find a partner to help with study. I completly agree with others who also said this program is not for everyone, you have to be very motivated to get through. No one will hold your hand and walk you through ground lessons. The instructors will pressure you to use all your flight time quick because they are looking to build multi time quicker.

It may sound like I had a bad experience, but I actually enjoyed my time at ATP. I just took a lot away from it, and I beleive all my self study made me a better pilot. You learn it the best when you have to teach it to yourself. If you are not a self-studying independent person I strongly suggest not going to ATP, you will not succeed there. Please feel free to ask any questions.