Thread: Class Drop List
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2022, 09:26 AM
pitchattitude
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Originally Posted by frieswiththat View Post
I can't offer first-hand knowledge but I have a trusted former colleqgue that recently finished training and provided some good insight so I'll share what I know. His e-mail to me posted with permission:

"Right now it is all direct-entry captains every class with a few FO exceptions, DFW based. That might change in 2 weeks. MIA is senior and ORD will be as well, for now. Everything is in flux right now with two major considerations in the company.... phasing out the E145 by the end of 2023 Q1, and gradually adding E175 PHX flying with the opening of the PHX base to be determined as more airplanes are delivered. They are committed to be a 200 airplane fleet so the growth is there. So many moving parts that nobody really knows who will end up where but the company has been as transparent as possible based upon the information they are given from AA for what flying needs to be covered. It sounds like once the company is satisfied that they have enough captains to cover the flying that American has given them, and they can get the E145 to E175 transition folks through the pipeline, the focus will turn back to cadets and FO hiring for those that need ATP-CTP. The training department right now simply cannot handle anything beyond getting captains on the line as quickly as possible and doing transition training.They are short instructors too. For someone that is a cadet and really wants to be at Envoy, just sit tight a few more months and they will be getting things in order. In the meantime it's critical coverage and everyone is maxxed out even on reserve."

My personal opinion on this pretty much mirrors the advice above. Sounds like Envoy is a great place to be right now so if you can stand a few extra months being put off by recruiting if you are low time. If not then there are plenty of options. If you are a DEC, this is probably a great option with all the money they are throwing at everybody. Everyone's situation is unique. What do those kids say nowadays, YMMV your mileage may vary or something like that. Trust me I'm no expert, I was teaching college students in a Florida CFI class and everyone wanted to go to Endeavor 6 months ago, but not so much anymore. Amazing how this industry changes so quickly.
Envoy will likely not see two hundred planes and the pilots to fly them for a LONG time, maybe never again. As the 145s go away, there are only limited numbers of 170s to replace them. Envoy has a total of something less than 30 either on property or in the works to acquire. Those won’t come close to replacing the number of 145s leaving. That leaves the end state currently at about 135 planes and as I’ve said, there just aren’t enough 170 made to have a significant number of them available.to bump up those numbers. AAG is pretty much scoped out on large RJs, meaning that more 175s are not possible without something drastic happening, like Mesa losing its contract. But since Air Wisconsin already has a contract to fly CRJ 200s, there is still capacity at other AAG FFD carriers.

And to add insult to injury, Envoy just announced it is stifling the flow. Most have the position that reducing the flow will have a reverse effect on attrition. They may save four a month to flow, but will likely push other off the ledge if they thought of staying.