View Single Post
Old 10-28-2022, 09:07 AM
usmc-sgt
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Jun 2006

Originally Posted by Climbto450 View Post
This is why we need an overhaul of the VDA system. The same 5-10 pilots in every base/seat shouldn’t get all the VDA all the time. I haven’t confirmed it but I’ve heard some carriers do it differently and more evenly spread around. It was described to me as a bucket system once you’ve had a VDA you move to the 1 VDA for the month bucket, once a 2nd VDA call the 2 VDA bucket and do on. Hence it spreads the VDA’s across more of the seniority. Correct me if I’m wrong but it’s kind of BS that 5 pilots in every base/seat credit 150hrs plus per month, while the rest of us get a call every 3 months or so.
JetBlue is an odd creature (but you knew that.) The top X percent have been there essentially since new hires. They are fiercely protective over what’s theirs (two sandwich club) and are reluctant to give it up. As you’ve said, it’s the same folks who bid what they want and get it. They they drop it all as desired via trade board, followed by VDA. Or VDA over a trip and then double dip. Every month, every year. With exception of the outliers (FO and recently the 190 fleet) it doesn’t change. I’d imagine If you could look up who credits 150+ a month, you’d see 75% of them are the same
month over month. Look deeper and it’s the same for years.

At present, I don’t fault them. It’s seniority which isn’t a new concept. It’s also a union who negotiated for it and the pilot group who ratified it. Doesn’t mean it can’t be a survey item which becomes a contract ask in the future. Right off the bat though, you’ve got 1000 pilots who will vote no on it.