Old 10-31-2022, 06:02 AM
Duffman
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
Historically California, New Mexico, Nevada , Arizona, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida are THE flight training states since the beginning of WWII.
California and Florida have historically been competing for the highest number of student pilot certificates and commercial certificates.
You can find all this data on the FAA website.
In half of those states I would recommend you do your instrument rating at night.
For one because you have less than 3 IMC days a year and because it’s too hot during the day for the level of concentration needed.
I’ve heard of DPE’s in Nevada that will only do checkrides at night to cut down on the cheating.
This guy's advice has been really solid. I'd also second trying to get a turbo-prop flying gig in AK, or at least not getting all 1500 hours as a CFI. CFIing is a great starter job, but it isn't an either/or choice where you aren't allowed to do anything else until you have 1500. If you're a good CFI with a positive attitude, it's not hard to network, just don't be too vocal about your intentions of leaving if you aren't 100% sure you can trust your flight school leadership. Some flight school leadership 'gets it' and embraces that they're a stepping stone whereas others take massive offense that you don't want to spend your career making $30 an hour flying Cessnas in the practice area, and they'll do everything they can to throw black marks in your PRIA.

As for where you should do your flight training, I would recommend the Southwest because you'll get more flying days, and as long as you're not living within an hour of the ocean, it's pretty affordable. Plus, I love mountain flying personally.