Thread: USAFR Pay
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2008, 01:39 PM
Chris99
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: B717 CA

Originally Posted by MoosePileit View Post
I'm sure you've been briefed that care is needed w/ disability payouts and some types of continuing employment. I can't tell if you fly for a living, for example- if you do- the FAA may feel it needs to know about your VA disability issue and have either a waiver or a SODA or hopefully nothing but a recurring "previously reported, no change" on your physicals. Reason- the FAA violated dozens in CA last year based on their VA and other disability ratings and payments vs. their lack of said disclosures in their flight physical data. If this is your case, or anyone on the board- I'd get in touch w/ the folks in the know, not just random inputs, but this might be a timely notice for some. It was called operation Safe Pilot and used Social Security Admin payout data, not VA, but I don't know if they are linked. 3200+ of the 40,000 pilots in the state were flagged.
This is a good point to make, but that's why I put "disability" in quotations. Technically, VA pay is "disability" pay even if the "disabilities" are minor and don't affect flying (as it is in my case). Your employer cannot ask you if you receive this "disability" pay at an interview. However, if you have any issues that affect flying, these have to be disclosed during your medical as you mentioned above (and could affect your ability to maintain a medical and continue flying). I do fly for a living and have a first class medical--no limitations.