Old 11-01-2022, 02:44 PM
MightyQ
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2022
Default What about 10 years plus?

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
My buddy just did this. Go to a regional, get current, then the big boys will call in accordance with her previous experience. Look at their web pages for specific requirements, they have evolved over recent years (mainly to give senior mil officers credit for flight time prior to their final 2-3 year staff tour).

My friend did absolutely nothing to get current/proficient before he showed up for regional class, they told him not to bother. I'd assume majors want you to have whatever they specify in recent turbine experience, they are not that desperate yet.

If she doesn't want to deal with regional BS, 135/91 (turbine) would do the trick too if she can find a convenient gig. Would normally take longer to get current than regionals, but many of the regionals are backed up and have long training delays right now.

She could also do DEC if she wants more $, but that's a scramble and has QOL ramifications being stuck at the bottom of the list in base for a while. That's what my buddy did... he needed the money, but got more than he bargained for when they doubled the pay rates lol. He also needed the PIC time since he had never upgraded in his previous 121 life.

Most regionals grant you longevity credit for pay (and vacay, 401k?) for previous 121 experience, up to 10 years. So if you had 15 years at the previous 121 gig, you would start at year 10 pay. My buddy had a decent white-collar gig, but the longevity credit and recent regional pay raises has him making more than he did at the office job... he was expecting a pay cut, but market forces worked in his favor.

Some regionals are prioritizing CA over FO for training slots, IOE, etc so that might another reason to do DEC.
I’m in the same boat, but when I retire from the AF in 2024 it’ll be 11 years since I last flew in 2013. I’ve got ~3000 hours (C-17) and plan to get back up to speed with a civilian flight instructor in the next few months. My plan is to try to do an internship with somebody like NetJets or WheelsUp in the last six months of active duty, to get ATP and some hours, but haven’t contacted them yet to see if they’re interested. Would that be an ok way to get recency? Any hope of getting picked up by a legacy carrier right away after retirement? I’m having a heck of a time determining how much the pilot shortage balances out my ten years out of the cockpit.