View Single Post
Old 11-04-2022, 09:16 PM
highfarfast
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2016

Originally Posted by chirrut View Post
Of the 40 that started class this past week on 10/31:
- 1 cadet
- majority were all seasoned pilots with extensive backgrounds in airline, corporate and military. Minus the cadet, first 10 or so individuals easily over 10k TT each. I believe the #2 pilot behind the cadet has something like 25k TT.
- At least 2 legacy pilots. One retired Delta, only 2ish years from 65. I believe the other is from United? Yes, 'interesting' to see these individuals.
The remaining were mostly from other regionals and 135 outfits. A good number of former ExpressJet folks.
The bottom 4 or 5 I think have less than 500i-700sh 121.436 qualifying time. I recall the last individual coming straight from the military and bringing the maximum 500 hours allowed by 121.436(c)

As for the base bidding, several of the higher seniority individuals bid FO in ORD because that is where they want to be based (they live in Chicago or that general region, etc), even if it means sitting right seat. still getting CA longevity pay and that's the bottom line for these folks. The remaining likely, as you said, want to sit right seat to feel out the operations and/or knock off any 121 rust then wait for a displacement to the left seat. We were told those individuals, that are captain qualified but bid FO, will be trained and checked as DECs (including the LCM and DNR class for CAs), complete IOE in the left seat (with some right seat time), and including a fed ride and line check. Some time before the 6th month mark, they will be displaced to the left seat at the flick of a switch because they already have their fed ride and line check. This would avoid having to come back to the school house for another training cycle.
Thanks, that helps with the "where are they coming from" question asked in another thread. I was also curious.