Thread: New system bid
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2022, 08:56 AM
C2078
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2019

Originally Posted by FTv3 View Post
Re: downsizing:

Besides this recent overbooking of early peak schedules, last I checked we weren’t exactly swimming in empty deck space. We were still leaving freight on the ramp in HKG last summer, and the incoming 76s were specifically marked as growth aircraft vs MD replacement (as I recall from some financial reporting they did). And the MD is still doing some intl work, just had a pri3 crew on my last trip. I truly think worst case for 2023 is we see a loss of a couple Pratt MDs, the effects to us will be absorbed by regular system bids and retirements. If we got 7x76s coming and potentially 2 747s with 31 retirements, we are looking at what, 100 bodies minimum needed? There will be more retirements than 31 and I’m pretty sure they are still trying to get caught up w/ staffing so I could easily see hiring up to 200 next year. Otherwise agree it will
slow from what we saw in 2022 but Boiler is correct IMO - sky isn’t falling by any means.
Have you seen the amount of Asia cancellations lately? This may be volume, or the Chinese playing their games, but many retailers are saying they are overstocked with goods. Not necessarily fully applicable to us, but the sea shipping industry is definitely starting to feel the volume drop. Even when flying domestically I am noticing the payload weights lower.

Just saying things are turning fairly quickly, and the economic environment may or may not give the company enough motivation to park additionally slated planes.