View Single Post
Old 11-17-2022, 03:35 PM
C17B74
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2013
Position: No Hats No Jackets No PAX

Originally Posted by jrmyl View Post
Agreed on the time building aspect. I don't need to build time so no worries for me, but I am on the 747. I just looked at my flight times to date from when I started. In 20 months since start date, I have logged 901 total hours. That is averaging 45 hours a month on the 747. If I take out the training months in MIA, it averages right around 53 hours per month.

Definitely something to think about if you are a low time guy just wanting to build time. This isn't the place.
Low time folks trying to build time quickly should definitely consider other venues like the regionals, etc. On the other hand one must definitely be cognizant of the current environment and do their best to forecast where they may have to lie in wait if or when a slowdown may occur in the near, far or hopefully not so much in the future. No one knows exactly what lies ahead but there are a few signs already beginning to show. Choose whatever meets your career priorities as best as you can and be aware you may sit for a bit longer than originally planned and may it be in a decent place. Delta has been smart to recently offer mil folks the opportunity to apply, interview and be granted a CJO upon their retirement within two years of their discharge papers supposedly (or within one year for those just leaving I believe) which creates a soft landing outside of the military and fills class dates with some talent ahead of other outfits. American perhaps is working on the same approach, others may follow suit. On the flip side it seems Purple may have stopped training/opportunities on the MD11/A300 and no MEM77FO slots as they mentioned on their forum recently. Brown is seeing a shift as well in some areas perhaps as well from what they’re mentioning. Just my 2 cents, but take a look around the forums sporadically on topics that may have impact on your endeavors and get a bigger picture. Position yourself as best as possible, don’t stovepipe yourself and do the best for you with all the info you can gather. Cargo will have a cleaner picture after peak and early next year. It’s all up in the air.

*Plenty of early takers of retirement at the early stages of the viral debacle at the Majors and with consistent ongoing retirements it doesn’t seem things will slow to a trickle, but these decisions are well above anyones pay grade on APC. Overall, airlines continue to hire until they don’t.

Last edited by C17B74; 11-17-2022 at 03:46 PM.