View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 07:54 AM
flyifrvfr
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2008

The problem is that even though there was a convoy, other truckers were speeding past them and not participating in the protest. Before I became an airline pilot I drove tractor trailers for ten years. Here is the problem with the protest and why it applies to pilots as well.

Truckers and pilots alike feel gratefull and fortunate to have a job. They fear that losing the money they make now will further inhibit them from paying their mortgages. They just don't understand that a temporary work stopage will result in better wages and compensation as a result of their protests and strikes, but all truckers and pilots would need to particiapte. But a strike could take several months to conclude thus making them behind in their bills. This is where the fear factor sets in and makes them uneasy and uncertain.

The other problem is people are willing to do both jobs for less money. If you take concessions and pay cuts you are telling your company that you are willing to do the job for less money. How smart is that? I don't want to hear management complaining that the cost of doing business in rising so therefore concessions must happen. How bout you take a huge pay cut and lay management off.

Our industry will never return to the days of old. There will be no "taking it back" we shouldn't have given it in the first place.