View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 09:06 AM
vagabond
Administrator

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: C-172

I know as well as the next person pilots cannot engage in similar action. Unless and until the RLA is changed somehow, you are unable to use this time honored union tactic. That's why I prefaced my post with "shame you guys can't do something like this to make a point." I have no answers to this, but I'm sure ALPA has many lawyers smarter than I am, just waiting in the wings to spring into action when the time comes.

Note that the truckers in the article are mostly, if not entirely, independent truckers. And I doubt this little demonstration will do anything to lower the price of fuel. If nothing else, I see fuel going up even more in the near term. These guys will just park their rigs and wait it out. Some will move on to other types of businesses.

I don't want to turn this thread into a political discussion (and risk having my favorite mod close it down), but whoever moves into the White House next year will have an impact on all of us so great that we are not able to fathom it now. I read an article that McCain is compiling his list of vice-presidential contenders. Fred Smith's name is being bandied about. The implications of this combination are both frightening and refreshing.

Ok, mods, you know that I will be the first to report any post that violates the TOS. And that includes my own posts.