Old 04-02-2008, 02:27 PM
longhauler
He who lies first, wins!

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: back in the saddle with sores!

Originally Posted by surreal1221 View Post
ALPA.

I want a union that was built for professional pilots, not truckers or other labor groups.

I want a union that is well versed in 121 scheduled operations, and which has the resources to protect my profession.

It should be a pretty damn simple decision.
The people I have been associated with that have been ALPA would not support your statement. Most of the people who have lost millions of dollars worth of pensions (Delta, UA) or the one who lost their jobs and the company continued to operate (Emery). First ALPA is an association as it states in the title. Second professionals don't refuse to come to the table and offer help when help is needed (Some of the Delta pilots wanted to approach the company for temporary give backs when the Sh*t hit the fan after 9/11. DALPA state they can come and ask for help. Well management helped themselves to the pensions.) I have not figured out how ALPA at the regional level has helped, especially when most of the regionals are beholden to the major for their flying and ALPA majors give more total dollars to the pot than the regional guys. I think a few of the TWA guys might also disagree with ALPA also.
All in all neither is perfect you have to chose you poison, get involved and make the best of it. It will never be perfect.