View Single Post
Old 12-01-2022, 07:40 AM
QRH Bingo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2021
Question Removal of ATP VMC Circle Limitation

Question for the internet about the issuance of an ATP with the VMC Circle to Land limitation. I know this is standard practice, so I promise this is not the usual question.

If I have a prior type rating (full PIC type, no limitations) issued on a commercial certificate and then obtain an ATP, does the circle to land maneuver already demonstrated from the previous type carry over onto the ATP? (ATP was issued on the basis of a 121 AQP so circle to land maneuver was not completed). I know type ratings “elevate” to the ATP even if they were issued before the ATP because they are done to ATP standards. Only thing I can find in the ACS is how to remove the limitation and what maneuvers are required to be accomplished. But it seems to be worded in a manner that it is done after the fact and not necessarily from a previous type rating.

I can’t find anything else about this specific scenario and I have gotten mixed answers. One individual noted this exact scenario; temporary issued with the VMC circling limitation which was later changed by Airmen Certification when his permanent was issued without the limitation. (which is what led to this question). I even called Oklahoma City for clarification and spoke to a DPE who seemed quite annoyed at my question and stated it was issued correctly, of course.

While the overall issue is minor and not even relevant if I stay in the 121 world, here’s my thinking:
-If I have already demonstrated the maneuver and IF it should transfer over then why not correct it now, for free, versus later as I’ve already put in the effort.
-And, if I ever decide to go back to 135 operations, it might be expected to have the ability to circle to land (even if it’s known to be dangerous, but that’s not the discussion point here).