Thread: SanDiego to LA area living - LAX/SNA/ONT base

nene , 12-01-2022 08:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off
nene
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Nov 2020
Quote: I drive from SD near downtown to LAX. Takes 2 hrs from my house to South parking lot for night departures and 2 1/2 hrs during rush hour. Need to plan another 30 min to take the shuttle to the terminal. I leave the house 3 hrs before report time if rush hour traffic is no factor or 4 hrs if traffic applies.
Also, consider reserve rules at your airline. I fly for AA which has no hard call out so I can sit SC and not sweat it. Lots of SD based AA pilots do the same. Not sure if other airlines would allow you to do this. If you live north of LA and have to cover ONT/SNA/SAN the drive could be tough. This is also an AA thing but does not apply with many other airlines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I once had an emergent need to leave SD at 3pm to go to Oxnard (170 miles through LA). It took me over 8hrs and I never stopped (other than traffic) once. I literally could've walked up portions of 405 faster for miles. Oh, and I never once saw an "accident" save for the random car along the side of the freeways that had either broken down or run out of gas.