View Single Post
Old 12-05-2022, 10:34 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by K1218 View Post
-My question is, am I not getting any calls from the regionals because I did not successfully complete my training?
That's usually a factor, although in the current hiring climate it should be a minor factor.

Is it possible it because a lot of Regional airlines are having a difficult time finding captains they are slowing down the FO hiring?
That is occurring, so they might be relegating those with blackmarks to the "maybe next year" pile.

I would also like to know how do I move forward from this. I have been back at my flight school instructing, but im getting frustrated and beginning to feel like I'm never going to get hired.
You will, don't worry about that.

You have to explain what happened, take responsibility, and tell them what you learned. Whatever you do, don't blame anyone else ( guess you could blame the guy who hit you in this case lol).

In your case the lesson learned was don't do training if you have significant outside distractions (health, family, etc). Wives commonly file for divorce while you're in new-hire training, and those guys essentially always flunk out unless they request a LOA and come back after the dust settles.

They shouldn't really hold it against you, the accident wasn't your fault and you were motivated to finish but you just didn't know what you didn't know about 121 training. Your health issue is resolved, and you know about distractions now.

You may want to do a job fair or meet and greet to get some face time with a human being to explain what happened.

Also be aware that they are generally less tolerant of ground school/written test failures than sim/IOE failures... academics is almost 100% about work ethic and motivation. I don't think this applies in your case, you have an alibi but you want to make sure that potential employers have the whole story, not just that you flunked a written.

If things don't pick up after the new year, you might want to do 135 but research their training and management practices carefully.