UAL T38 Phlyer
Moderate Moderator
close
  • Joined APC
    Mar 2008
  • Position
    Curator at Static Display
Sticks and Yokes
90% of my flight time is with sticks, most of it center-stick. To me, a stick is a far more natural way to shepherd an airplane around. Wheels are for cars.

In the A-320, I loved the side-stick. Mind you, my center-stick time was in airplanes that I could not stand up in, nor did I have crew meals. I have a few rides in the F-16, which is side-stick, but I like the Bus' stick better, because it actually moves--the F-16 is just pressure-sensitive (it moves about a quarter of an inch, barely enough to tell).

The Bus stick is natural, and without the yoke and column in the way, allows for the Jepps/food table--which is awesome. Anyone who has flown Boeings with your food balanced on your lap, only to spill coffee/dessert/gravy on your crotch..you know what I mean!! And you never have to look around the wheel to read something on the panel.

My biggest dissapointment in the 787 "Dreamliner:" it has a damn wheel. The 777 was supposed to have a stick, but United was the launch customer. The UAL pilots involved in the cockpit layout supposedly said "No damn United airplane will ever have a stick!!"

A few months later, they ordered the Airbus as well. By then, Boeing had frozen the 777 design. Crap.