Thread: Hiring 2022
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2022, 01:28 AM
IA Moose
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2016

Originally Posted by Genericaviation View Post
Hi all. To add to this thread, I’m an 8 year regional guy who recently lost my medical.
Really interested in the Southwest instructor position being advertised as Southwest was my first choice major anyway. Anyone have any insights?
I read somewhere that SWAPA was grieving the direct-entry, full-time position so
A) Would I be unpopular with classmates/colleagues in this role?
B) Would I get rolled in to the general pilot group if the role goes away (assuming I can get my medical back!)
Any insights would be extremely helpful!! TIA.
The instructor info keeps changing so fast I get whiplash, but I think last I heard they’re saying 2 years as instructor then you can swap seniority lists? The recent thing that ticked the union off was different…they hired instructors as FOs and gave them seniority but kept them instructing because of a shortage. So they were working under the instructor CBA while on pilot seniority. That only affected a small number of people and as far as I know was a one-time thing. I’ve never come across a pilot who begrudges those folks so don’t worry about popularity or anything.
There’s a thread in here somewhere about the instructor job. Try searching there to learn what it’s like and hopefully find some contacts too.