View Single Post
Old 04-04-2008, 03:48 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by ToiletDuck View Post
Load bearing capacity isn't something many are worried about (if any). Just about any airport with a terminal is capable of taking most aircraft. I don't know of any airports I've flown into for CHQ that couldn't take Boeings. The heaviest 757 has a lower load bearing than the 737-400, 600, 700, 800, 900ER and every model of the MD-80 family.

Pax loads/environment are main issues. It wasn't very uncommon for 727s to be weigh limited out west because of the heat. 6,300ft runway could take the weights just fine but they need more runway so they'd take off almost empty then head to SAT to get gas before their longer trip.
Most airports with terminals were designed for larger airplanes. My little hometown is a turboprop-only destination today, but used to get the 727.

Many airlines have operated RJ's as hub-fillers...with little to no regard for the RJ segment's profitability. The idea was that the real money would be made on the mainline ticket once the pax reached the hub.

When I flew in the US Airways system (legacy, pre-merger) the RJ leg to the hub was often at no extra charge.

The COMAIR pilots used this same arguement in 2001...they took the approach that COMAIR itself didn't need to be profitable. They fel that the profits from mainline connecting pax would pay for their contract.

Last edited by rickair7777; 04-04-2008 at 03:54 PM.