VHR-very happily retired
maxjet
VHR-very happily retired
close
  • Joined APC
    Aug 2007
  • Position
    Retired
Quote: This mentality truly baffles me. We are not in contract negotiations. The question of whether Kalitta was going to right the ship and be a stable, career destination carrier was settled in 2021. Why would your threats of competing job offers bother a management team that has stated, in as many words, that they are not surprised or bothered to see you go?

A contract was presented to the pilot group last year, and we just had to sign it because we had no leverage and PS was a really mean guy and it was totally a great deal, actually. I still clearly remember pearls of wisdom from the MEC in those days such as "quit doing your common-core math" and "just because we sign a contract doesn't mean we're done negotiating." The pilot group agreed, by a razor-thin margin, that their labor was worth no more or less than the rates in the 2021 CBA. Or I guess maybe they didn't, because it's almost impossible to find anyone on the line these days who says they voted "yes."

The idea that someone in Ypsilanti is going to swoop in and rescue us from ourselves is infantile. For anyone who was confused in 2021, THIS is what "no leverage" actually looks like. Rumors of "mid-contract talks" and "new pilot surveys" when we still can't discuss the results of the one we did in 2019 are just flailing and rationalization. Management has exactly what they wanted: Cheap labor, locked into a binding CBA. They are clearly and vocally willing to ride the status quo all the way to the next economic downturn, whenever and for however long that may be, so that they can repeat the strongarm tactics that worked so well for them last year. Exactly how and why our pilot group failed so utterly in '21 is a question best discussed in the safety of your next place of employment.

(Edit) I should add: Congratulations on your job offers. I hope to be right behind you.
Great assessment of what is probably going on. I write this because it was the same thing that was going on when I was there. Frankly, if you are at K4 for only the money you will never, ever be happy. It is what it is. Stay or go but please don’t ruin the few good experiences this unique job offers by nonstop *****ing. Merry Christmas and stay safe.