Thread: Berry Aviation
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2022, 11:02 PM
VanillaAK
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2022

Originally Posted by QRH Bingo View Post
Yes. If you have an internal recommendation then possible to go lower, but still not likely. 25 is pretty standard everywhere.

As mentioned before (I answered this question on page 7, does nobody look back anymore?), it is 24hr on call starting 6am Monday morning and they own your butt until 6am Saturday morning* without having to pay you weekend pay. If you're already at home on a Friday, you could be released as early as noon. If out on the road, an airline ticket could get you home anywhere between 6pm and midnight. If you get a revenue trip that ends at home, all bets are off and you may not get home until Saturday morning.
*You are required to work every 4th weekend and you do get the Monday off before that on-call weekend.

You are not chained to your house, per se, but they do expect a 30min response time to the airplane if needed. Advance notification vs. immediate call out is probably a 50/50 split. Advance notice could be anywhere from 1 hour to a few hours. Same rules apply while you're on the road. Group Messaging between the crews and your own self-tracking of airplanes can help alleviate some of the unknowns. If there's no airplane where you are, you're not gonna get a "go-now" call (unless it is to the airport for an airline ticket, which does happen on occasion).
Ok. Yeah I read through the whole thread but I asked the question because I didn't fully understand the on-call part. From my perspective, it seemed like in order to be able to show up in to the airport within 30 min, you would need to live close to base and be at home. Like I guess I didn't understand if its 2:00am on a Tuesday and I'm sleeping, I would need to make sure I heard the phone and got decent rest beforehand somehow and still made it to the airplane in time? That's the part that's still fuzzy to me. I guess I understand tracking the aircraft to see the possibility of being called helps and being in group chats but I just haven't worked in that type of environment before and it sounded interesting. Thanks for the info.