View Single Post
Old 01-09-2023, 08:20 AM
ComanchePilot
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FO

Originally Posted by rjpennell24 View Post
Does JB have a EWR base and if so is it easy to get out of training?
Yes, JetBlue has a base at Newark. By the way, this is information you can found on the
Airline Pilot Central page about JetBlue . You should familiarize yourself with the bases of any airline you are applying to.

AFAIK, it is not possible to get assigned EWR out of training; rather, you would get assigned JFK, and start work there when you finish the 6 to 8 weeks of initial training. Then you would request a transfer to EWR during the next vacancy bid, or on the system bid that occurs each November.

> What are they advertising for reserve time and upgrade time?
They don't advertise anything about reserve time or time to upgrade.

JetBlue operates three types of aircraft; the two smaller types have a shorter upgrade time than the A320. However the Newark base has only the A320. You get assigned an aircraft on your first day, based on seniority within your class. If you are assigned to one of the smaller aircraft on your first day, you would have to attend training on the A320 once you get the base transfer.

Reserve time (number of months of seniority you need in order to hold a line) varies a lot from one aircraft type and base to another. I don't have that data easily accessible, so will let someone else answer with specifics; I do know that JFK E-190 FOs can hold a line when they have been at the company six months. For A320 FOs I believe they need a few more months of seniority to hold a line (again, varies by base).

Upgrade time changes from year to year. As of the most recent system bid, the junior Boston E190 captain will be someone who has been at the company 1.5 years. At JFK it's about 2 years on the E-190 and around 4 or 5 years on the A320.

> Do they allow you to drop and trade trips?
Like every other airline, JetBlue allows you to trade trips with other pilots, and also allows you to trade a trip you've been assigned (if you are a lineholder) with a trip that is listed in the "Open Time Pot" - provided the airline has more reserve pilots available on the days of the trip you are trading into than on the days of the trip you are trading out of.

Likewise, every airline allows you to drop trips, but only if they have sufficient number of reserve pilots on those dates. So this is not possible very often.

> Average days worked per month?
There are three different answers to this, depending what type of schedule you have.
They range between 1 to 2 days worked per month (E-190 FO on long call reserve) to 18 days worked per month (junior captain on short call reserve) to 16 days worked per month (typical lineholder).

> Overall happy with the company and could see yourself there long term?

There are a few annoyances here, just as there are everywhere else; No airline is without faults. Personally, I have been very happy with my decision to come to JetBlue. It has been a much better experience (better pay and more days off) compared to the regional airline I came from. It is a major airline, but it is not a legacy (AA/DL/UA). Pilots often leave JetBlue for legacy airlines, in search of better pay or bigger aircraft. However, this is a perfectly solid company to work for, and there are several reasons why it is a very reasonable place to make your final career destination - particularly if you live near BOS, JFK, or FLL.