View Single Post
Old 01-26-2023, 05:28 AM
CX500T
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017
Position: NYC 7ERA

If airlines is the end goal and flying for the military is also a goal..

Air Guard... Then USAF Reserve.

Navy hinders themselves with no "guard" equivalent, so Naval Aviators are basically 10 years from the day you walk in the door to OCS, to can go start your civilian job. (8 years post wings, hard to do OCS and flight school in under 2 these years, although I did it in 18 months in 2001-02)

I say this as a Navy guy, if I could have changed anything I did, I would have gone and flown either heavies or fighters out of the MA or close by ANG.

Other plus to the ANG, if you get hired by a C-17, C-5, A-10, whatever unit, provided you pass flight training, you will fly that.

When I finished primary for the Navy, my choices were Helicopters, Helicopters, Helicopters or hey, how do Helicopters sound? And this was with a 67 NSS (basically top 5% of last 200 students) and #1 in my class. Next week? Guys who were just over the 50% mark ended up flying Tomcats. Week after that? A P3 draft.

ANG takes all the "but what will I get" stress/uncertainty out of it, and you can just concentrate on being the best damn aviator you can be.