View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Ranger
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: MD-11/10 Captain

Originally Posted by steel View Post
Ummmmm...that's a great suggestion if you condone the actions of one who affects many. And yes it's a tough pill to swallow for the fellow brother/sister who happens to have made the mistake, especially with the public ridicule. It doesn't mean they are a bad person; it simply means they are on the hot seat for others to see, and that is the deterrent at present.

My problem is when one of us is assigned a former DP and screws something up due to fatigue, we might pay the price in the way of our livelihoods. So yes, we are going to be emotional when one asks for and flies a DP, even if it was a mistake.

Here's my suggestion to combat DPs, all of which have been stated time and time again. First, flagging them in open time is a great idea. Second, maybe Captains could step up to the plate by calling in fatigued if the need arises. Dollar signs seem to get the attention of everyone around this place. Third, we need to be more careful when bidding. Utilize software and triple check everything. I think it's fair to state the SIG does more than their share by providing all of the information in a multitude of ways. Let's do our part.

The system is broken. How else could there be so many different individuals making the same mistake every month?
I think we agree on the big thing. The d.p. should not be flown. Period. That's not going to happen due to the current set of rules. So the end result, whether we like it or not, is that it should be flown by reserve pilots. I'm not condoning that. It's the way it is. My point was that if, for whatever reason, a d.p. appears on someone's schedule why not delay the execution until the flight blocks out? People correct mistakes and/or get religion in a few cases. I'm all for ridicule. But when you make false statements or false assumptions without all of the facts before the dirty deed is actually done, it serves no useful purpose.

The company must be enjoying the hell out of this.