Old 02-01-2023, 09:40 AM
BStill
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2023
Position: None

Originally Posted by DashAviator View Post

If you can afford it, I'd recommend going to a dedicated simulator training facility for a finish-up course after you spend some time with the local instructors. For example, Simcom in Orlando has an initial and recurrent course for the Beech Baron. I attended this two or three times (on my own dime) when I was flying the Baron for a Part 135 freight company.

Summary: Part 121 training is NOT a good time to try to get current on your instrument skills!
This is all very useful info. I'm in a very similar situation as the OP, although different background. In 2001, after a year of fun-but-frugal fractional flying (BE-400 typed), I had finally made the transition from military (USMC tacair) to the Part 121 airlines (NWA: B727 FE) when 9/11 put me on long-term furlough, and by the time recalls started I prioritized my family stability and financial security to fly a desk at a government job for the last 20 years. With kids grown, retirement eligibility approaching, and airlines hiring, at age 56 I've revived the dream of returning to flying. (and wishing I would have started years ago...)

I think I've done about all the "Rusty Pilot" online training that's available, to include all the PPL and IR ground school academics. (impressive how much is available on-line these days). I've just initiated contact with CFI's at a couple of local flight schools to get refreshed/current and get some stick time and instrument work in their Redbird sims and training aircraft (including glass). And to start networking to find opportunities to offer pro-bono right-seat support to some type of local revenue operations (central/northern Virginia).

What is my best next step after that to build relevant recent flight hours that would get me an interview at a Legacy/Major? I'm looking for a course like DashAviator describes above, but unless I find an operator that flies that platform is it a good investment? I do still have my ATP from the past 121 experience: so would it be a better investment to go take one of these new (to me) ATP-CTP courses, get the training, experience, and sim ride (CRM refresher), even though (I presume) I don't need to re-take the ATP check-ride?

Thanks for all the great gouge here! Apologize if I'm hijacking the OP's thread, but we're in such similar circumstances I figure we can both benefit from the feedback.

My numbers:
Total hours: 2010 (over 1600 of which is military, with no conversion to block time)
Turbine: 2002
ME: 523 (515 = Turbine: BE-400 and UC-12B=KingAir 200)
PIC: 1360 (most of which is single-engine/single-seat turbine)