Old 02-01-2023, 06:40 PM
Brooklyn99
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2022

Originally Posted by BStill View Post
In 2001, after a year of fun-but-frugal fractional flying at Raytheon Travel Air (which I believe has since been bought and absorbed into the FlexJet enterprise), I had finally made the transition from military (USMC tacair) to the Part 121 airlines (NWA: B727 FE) when 9/11 put me on long-term furlough, and I haven't flown since. Hoping to get back to a flying career in my later years (56). I really enjoyed the actual flying in the fractionals (BE-400 type rating), and considering going in that direction again.

Question: what would be most relevant way to get current flight time to land an interview; and once/if I get that far, how best to prepare for the sim ride in an un-familiar cockpit?

Thank you!

My numbers:
Total hours: 2010 (over 1600 of which is military, with no conversion to block time)
Turbine: 2002
ME: 523 (515 = Turbine: BE-400 and UC-12B=KingAir 200)
PIC: 1360 (most of which is single-engine/single-seat turbine)
Ratings:
- ATP-AMEL; FE (for what that's worth now...)
- BE-400 type
Yes - the lineage from Travel Air now resides in the Flexjet universe, and I have flown with several captains from that era. To answer your direction question about getting back in the game:

1. If you know anyone from the Travel Air days who flies with Flexjet I'd reach out to them to see about an internal rec, if at all possible.
2. Start with single-piston IFR review, consider a glass panel aircraft, such as a G1000-equipped 172. Fly 10 hours of IFR review and see where you're at
3. Maaaaybe look at right-seat contracting? There's Facebook groups for that - CAJL, etc.

Your times are plenty good compared to the kids we're hiring now. The sim is a verrrrrry basic hand-flown thing, no tricks. You don't need to know the airplane, just pitch/power/trim and eye scan. Hope that helps