View Single Post
Old 02-05-2023, 02:43 AM
C17B74
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2013
Position: No Hats No Jackets No PAX

Originally Posted by jrmyl View Post
It has benefited me twice now. I am CVG based and routinely finish out the pairing with a NGO-CVG flight that usually gets in around 12:30am local/05:30(04:30)UTC. Twice that flight has delayed a few hours and gotten me in after 0700UTC for the extended day. Granted, it was only an extra 2 hours, but it didn't cost me anything other than getting home at 5am instead of 1am.
That’s good stuff right there. Glad it has been working out for you as well as being able to live in base which has minor impact compared to the commuting folks. Lines have changed over the years, not all bases are created equal and lines have adjusted accordingly. Having been on property for a couple of years and eventually getting into CVG gives you a good perspective having been a commuter on the old timeframe vs the new and living in base. I was HSV for years before it dried up and it was glorious being able to drive to work, but the commute to ORD is definitely a change. Granted, it was still OK being able to hold lines that ended with time to get back on the same day (AM to mid afternoon) before the switchover. Now it’s hit or miss and some lines do work well, but this is just one cog speaking amongst a cast of thousands. Gateway has made it palatable with points (sometimes a lot, many times very little points) and one hop tickets and hotel so no worries, but I can drive to MEM yet I choose my own destiny since I don’t care for the monotonous lack of variety vs the opportunities ORD provides at this time.

*Sometimes a benefit - getting in late or zero dark thirty and getting a decent 5-8hr nap and shower to ride home and spend the rest of the day not too tired and getting things done ain’t bad. Before the change I would get in early afternoon or early evening in a haze, but still in my own bed. Atlas is fluid so you win some and lose some. The key is to win more than you lose and it sounds like jrmyl is winning. Feel like I win quite a bit, but you must use the loopholes/contract benefits with maximum effort.