View Single Post
Old 02-06-2023, 07:58 AM
OpenClimb
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014
Position: A320 CA

I think this guy is primarily a troll so I'm reluctant to answer, but sure, I can agree that if non-rev travel benefits are a high priority for you, Frontier probably isn't a good choice. Different strokes for different folks. I'm a bit of a homebody, so the last thing I want to do on my days off is travel via airliner. I haven't missed the sub-standard F9 travel benefits.

As for the rest of it--mostly inaccurate and cherrypicked financial data--the OP is misinformed. Sure there's probably a check airman or two making $300k+ at the regionals, but it isn't the norm and s/he is working hard to get there. Income like that at the regional level is unheard of until very recently and I wouldn't count on it continuing as the industry evolves. Compare this to even a sub-standard mainline carrier like F9 where my W2 has shown over $300k for the last 3 years and I'm solidly on reserve as a captain in Denver. If you're he!|-bent on comparing extremes, I know we have more than a handful involved with our training department who are $600k or over. And keep in mind, even our substandard 401k retirement program adds another 15% to that.

Folks who've followed my posts know that I'm about as far away from an F9 apologist as a person can be, but this nonsense that we're on par with a regional is crazy. It's really unwise and short-sighted to focus on years 1 thru 3 and reach the conclusion that a regional job is more desirable than a mainline job. I guess if you've got 3 years left in your career, then go for it. The numbers are in your favor. Carpe diem and all that. If you plan on outliving your gelled hairstyle and neon backpack, I'd suggest a longer time horizon for your number crunching! :-) If nothing else, where would you want to be stuck if the music stops on the land of unlimited opportunity that the airline industry has become?