Thread: QOL at IAD
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2023, 06:21 AM
Charlie Buster
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2013

"QOL and junior NB CA" are completely incongurent concepts. Everyone less than 50% in the DCA737CA category is getting 89.9 hours/mo and has a long time now. Add to this being at the bottom and getting all the sh*t that no one wants, MUCH more work, hassle, time away from base, etc and you get my point. The CA $ isn't worth all the BS, hence guys like me aren't taking their "upgrade" and we have 100s of unfilled NB CA vacancies system wide (hint: it isn't just about the bad reserve rules). As others have stated, DCA 756 is a really good gig (especially if you live in base). Great trip mix and reserve is easy when you live within 2 hrs - I used to bid reserve by choice seasonally and once had a 9 month no-hitter, went to TK 3x for landing currency. I had to make a similar decision when I started at UAL about 9 years ago, and have no regrets whatsoever. There's a reason the average age of the top 30 in the right seat of DCA756 is about 57. Would you rather have a glass of wine with dinner in Zurich on your 24 layover, or two breakfast crew meals because your first two legs of three are before 9 in the morning on a 3 day domestic that's worth less credit time? Start on the 756, then bid 777FO if you want the extra $ and sit reserve from home. Oh, and the good idea fairies are going to have to do some really eye-watering work on the UPA before NB CA makes sense for a lot of us.