Thread: QOL at IAD
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2023, 04:07 AM
Ni hao
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2016
Position: Gear *****

737 Capt any base is getting 89.9 with no ability to trade or drop. This happens when you take a new 737 max every 3 days BUT you can't fill any Captain vacancies. The QOL is so bad as the this person wrote nobody will bid the left seat.

Welcome to the SUCK!

Originally Posted by Charlie Buster View Post
"QOL and junior NB CA" are completely incongurent concepts. Everyone less than 50% in the DCA737CA category is getting 89.9 hours/mo and has a long time now. Add to this being at the bottom and getting all the sh*t that no one wants, MUCH more work, hassle, time away from base, etc and you get my point. The CA $ isn't worth all the BS, hence guys like me aren't taking their "upgrade" and we have 100s of unfilled NB CA vacancies system wide (hint: it isn't just about the bad reserve rules). As others have stated, DCA 756 is a really good gig (especially if you live in base). Great trip mix and reserve is easy when you live within 2 hrs - I used to bid reserve by choice seasonally and once had a 9 month no-hitter, went to TK 3x for landing currency. I had to make a similar decision when I started at UAL about 9 years ago, and have no regrets whatsoever. There's a reason the average age of the top 30 in the right seat of DCA756 is about 57. Would you rather have a glass of wine with dinner in Zurich on your 24 layover, or two breakfast crew meals because your first two legs of three are before 9 in the morning on a 3 day domestic that's worth less credit time? Start on the 756, then bid 777FO if you want the extra $ and sit reserve from home. Oh, and the good idea fairies are going to have to do some really eye-watering work on the UPA before NB CA makes sense for a lot of us.