Thread: QOL at IAD
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2023, 07:19 AM
FlewNavy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2016

Originally Posted by Tjpatt View Post
What if you are 3 hours (south) door to parking IAD parking lot with no traffic? I know I want 756 eventually. I think I would like the schedule and destinations. I have a class date coming up soon. Should I just go 756 from the start and sit short call somewhere north of Richmond? How long before I would hold a line? Or go 737 initially and move over to the 756 when I have the senority to hold a line?
That is too far away to sit reserve on the 756 which could be a couple of years (worst case).

Picture this scenario:

Friday night short call that starts at 2100. You drive up with short call distance to start your 13 hour short call window. At 0100 screw scheduling calls you and releases you from short call and reassigns you another short call with min rest. So now you drive home at 0100 to get some sleep to then drive back within short call range at 1100. You sit 8-10 hours of your 14hr short call and after the early LHR flights coast out they call you and put you on min rest for a 0600 short call the following day to cover the morning bank. This time you sit the full 14hr short call and are released. The next morning is your last day off and you have "reserve days off" the next 3 days. You are just getting your coffee and they call you with the late LHR/FRA trip departing 14 hrs later and your next two "off days" are rolled and if you had plans you have to cancel them.

Lather rinse repeat.