View Single Post
Old 02-09-2023, 09:28 AM
tnkrdrvr
Occasional box hauler

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by TransWorld View Post
And if that second pilot is on the ground, how are you going to communicate effectively?

My mom used to go to the doctor. He asked how did she feel. Not good. What’s wrong? I don’t know. Where does it hurt? I don’t know. What is your symptom? I just don’t feel good. It turned into a game of 50 questions. She came home, and she said her Doctor didn’t fix her. She eventually died, of natural causes, at age 94. She wanted her tombstone to read, “I told you there was something wrong with me.”

Such is the problem of a lack of effective communications.
Freaking out on the radio won’t advance communications. Calmly and succinctly explaining what you are dealing with will. However, the issue with having one pilot remote will always be that a pilot is taught to aviate, navigate, communicate. The remote pilot is just some guy in a dark room sipping coffee with no more skin in the game than ATC. I won’t really care what he or she thinks. I’m effectively single pilot (in your scenario) and my job is to fly the airplane, point it towards a good airfield, and then communicate my intentions with whoever needs to know.