Originally Posted by CantStayAway View Post
Real world example…

Pairing:
Day 1
MCO-ATL 20+ hour layover in ATL
Day 2
ATL-LGA
LGA-MCO Release at 12:00pm in MCO

A plane in MIA that is supposed to operate MIA-ATL-SFO is hours delayed due to mx. Scheduling attempts a reassignment of the crew that lands in ATL from MCO.

Attempted reassignment…
Day 1
MCO-ATL
ATL-SFO layover SFO
Day 2
DH SFO-MCO release at 15:15 in MCO

I don’t believe this exact scenario would be legal today as there is a domicile in ATL, however this was before the ATL domicile. The above scenario happened to me. I was never notified of the change and I went home that day. Under the language of the contract that will be going into effect with the app, this would be a legal reassignment (per ALPA) because of the “reasons beyond the control of the company.”

In the above example the reassignment was outside of the footprint of the original pairing. That should not be allowed in my opinion. I understand that my plane can break down in an outstation and that’s not what I’m talking about. A reassignment to different flying should never fall outside of the footprint of the original pairing. We have that language and then negate it with, “for reasons beyond the control of the company.”
I finally figured out the confusion. You’re mixing reassignment in and out of domicile when flying is removed or canceled. In domicile it has to be original footprint period. Out of domicile they can go outside original footprint to get you home. Removing the sentence you’re referring to would do nothing with the sfo reassignment they tried to give you. Nice job just going home by the way.

Anyhow, what I mentioned is still true. Every carrier has the ability to reassign outside the original footprint so you can get home. 3 hrs after the original footprint is when $ starts kicking in in most agreements, including ours. That language literally has to exist to get you back to a domicile. It’s not the big bad scary language it appears to be and removing it does nothing to force the company to not reassign outside original footprint at an outstation to get you back to domicile. There’s a bunch of other reassignment scenarios. Lol.

Last edited by fcoolaiddrinker; 02-25-2023 at 09:17 AM.