View Single Post
Old 05-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Cass

Hello all,
As an experienced instructor, I have seen all types of CFIs and can certainly sympatize with you aspiring pilots.One thing that is highly neglected in the beginning training levels are the use of simulators. I had 8 IFR students last year who were successful at an average of 45 hours.Teaching initially 20 hours in the sim for BAI, and then finishing up the last 20 or so in the plane after all the Basic attitude flying skills were mastered, and then aircraft utilation was much better.
Another thing is that each person is an individual and needs a ( slightly )differant approach. You learn to emphasize strengths, and not overly focus on weaknesses, those will generally work themselves out as the candidate attains experience.
The most important thing is that your student knows that you care about them, and that their personal success is also the instructors success, then it becomes teamwork, and is conducive to faster learning.
I used to know a guy who was so desperate for flight hours that he would just about bully anyone who walked through the door, drag them out for a disco flight, and then they were never seen again. In the year and a half that I worked there, I had 12 successful students who passed their checkrides, he didnt even have 1!!!!
SO>>>>> Advice,THOUROUGHLY research your instructor before committing to them.Check their last year, pass/fail rate etc etc..
( sorry to rant, but it is a passion of mine!)