View Single Post
Old 02-28-2023, 07:23 PM
ocskyguy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2016
Position: Old and Unemployed

So, I've been watching this thread unfold. Much of what is said is very valid. But, a career is long journey. Have seen my buddy Maxjet advocating avoiding Kalitta or moving on for those who are there now. However, what you really have to ask yourself is what you really want from your career. Airline flying is a balance between money and family. Throw in the experience of seeing the world.
I spent 30+ years in the employ of the one eyed monster who is Connie Kalitta. He is a complex mixture of bully, genius and, occasionally benevolent friend. The current mid management group has made K4 a difficult environment. This will pass. In my tenure at K4, I saw multiple waves of managers come and go, along with their policies.
QOL, it is tough to beat not having to commute multiple times a month. And, with a little seniority on the vacation bid, you can get 8 weeks off straight without missing a paycheck. I did it many years, even when I was mid level seniority. Money? Meh. Could definitely make more cabbage at a major. Even maybe at some of the LCCs. Along with better retirement. But, if you know the deal upfront, you can save appropriately.
Having said all of that, the best thing about K4 is the experience of seeing the world on somebody else's dime. Long days to get there, but so would it be as a straight up tourist. Most people (and pilots) will never have the opportunity to experience the cultural diversity that the pilots at Kalitta take for granted in their day to day life. Just sayin'