View Single Post
Old 03-04-2023, 10:00 AM
ThumbsUp
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2018

Originally Posted by BStill View Post
Old thread, but relevant to me now. Former military (tacair) pilot, with a brief 1-2 year attempt to transition to airlines in 2000-2001 before furloughed, and been flying a desk ever since. Total flight time 2000 hours, with ATP and FE, and a corporate jet type rating. (BE-400)

I've just started doing the local FBO/CFI thing described above for an (extended) flight refresh and then an IPC. (Also networking to find a local BE-400 operator who might appreciate right-seat services.) This GA path might be much (?) cheaper in the long run, but it's gonna take a few months to get there. Wondering if self-funding one of the ATP-CTP courses or even one of these 737 Type Rating courses might be a more efficient way to get current and (especially) look better on airline applications sooner. (None of my flight time was Part 121, as I was on the panel that whole time...) As a vet, also curious if GI Bill could fund it?

I'm new to the GA world and enjoying it, but wondering if it's really the most efficient way, for me, now, to gain currency that's relevant to an airline application (and to prep for an interview that includes a sim check..)

Any advice much appreciated.
You could probably apply to a regional and get hired immediately by doing nothing. With a little recency, you’d be hired by a legacy.