View Single Post
Old 03-06-2023, 02:52 PM
Nebakanezer
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2021

Originally Posted by toeman9 View Post
I'm on my third career change after having switched careers three years ago to become a pilot. Then the economy went bust and my pilot career ended even before it got started.

I'm now doing a Certified Financial Planner program at a local university and looking to get my MBA. In the meantime I have two part-time jobs (one of which is as a CFI).

How did I decide on financial planning over dentistry? I have three categories of books in my library at home: history/politics, aviation, and finance/economics click here. Then I recognized that I really like money and watching it grow, so why not go into finance.

A great resource is the Bureau of Labor Statistics' Occupational Outlook Handbook. This publication really helped me pick a career that fit my needs. It covers things like:
- training and education needed
- earnings
- expected job prospects
- what workers do on the job
- working conditions

Check it out and see if dentistry from day one of school to full swing career is for you.
I'm currently a dental student in first year and I've seen numerous forums and discussions about the fall of dentistry. I want to see if any newly grads or dental students have any concerns or positive insights/myth busters. Also, no I'm not in dentistry just for the money. I like the detailed manual work and I think I'm kind of good at it for someone who just started. But the concerns listed online are so overwhelming that it makes me think my interest in the profession is not going to be enough for me to even pay off my student debt let alone make a comfortable living.