Old 03-07-2023, 06:33 PM
BlueScholar
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2022
Position: 73FO

Originally Posted by 450knotOffice View Post
I flew the ATR back in the 90's for a few years. It would be very difficult to pull both props into feather at nearly the same time - and the method to do so differs significantly from the way one would select a flap setting. I could see possibly ONE prop pulled into feather, then a huge WOOPS moment, and it quickly pushed forward out of feather again. But BOTH? Supposedly nearly concurrently? Something is not sitting right with me on this. I feel there's much more to the story than currently meets the eye.
If you're tired, distracted and in a rush I can see how someone could reach for a lever, subconsciously recognize the lever by feel and muscle memory taking over and activating it, and not realizing they correctly did the wrong action. What I don't get is how they didn't hear both props feather. I don't have ATR time but I have similar twin turboprop time and the props going to feather are very loud and noticeable. Although if they were that low there probably wouldn't be enough time to get the props out of feather and climbing anyways.