Thread: Few questions
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2023, 08:50 AM
flyinglizard
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2019

Originally Posted by Blackmamba View Post
I am a regional captain and considering southwest but have a few questions. First of all, what are the overnights typically like at SWA? One of my biggest gripes in the regional life is doing nyc and Boston overnights what seems like every night. Does SW have decent variety (west coast for east coast based pilots, mainly interested in the BWI base fyi)

is the contract friendly to people who drive to work but would be outside of the 2 hour call? I’m ok occasionally driving to be within the reserve call but would like relatively friendly reserve rules.

lastly , is there any talk as to when a new contract will be coming and what the pay rates and work rules will look like ?

thanks
Hi! So I've been here a bit over three years, western base. I do only turns and two days no problem. I never go east, I've never had a boston or nyc overnight. Are they available? yes. Do I take them, no. I fear snow. I get a variety of overnights if I choose. For you, you should have similar quickly in being able to trade with other pilots and the company if you don't like the overnights you get. You'll easily be able to come out west for overnights, as I could go east if it weren't so damn cold.

I recently entertained offers from delta and united. Granted, I am three years in here, so seniority played a part in the decision but what really did it for me is that line scheduling vs pbs can not be beat. I can move days around so easily. My sister is visiting this month and she didn't know what days until after I bid my line. But it was no sweat to move things around so that she and I will have a great week together. When I have asked the DL and UA folks about that I get hmmms and uhhhhs. No one who is being honest will argue that they have better control of their schedule. They have widebodies, which is pretty awesome! But I prefer, personally, to control my schedule, yes work harder on my days on, but have more days off and more ability to control those days off. I won't get to sit first class on a nonrev to paris easily as they will for vacation, but I'll have more days on that vacation.

It's a tough choice, even for me with seniority, and I sweat it. But for work life balance, as a delta friend said, "Southwest works hard but has time to play hard. Delta works less hard but we are more rested on our days off" and I think both are fair.