Thread: First Car?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2023, 03:21 PM
Carbon
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2022

Originally Posted by captkdobbs View Post
Alright, I've been having a blast reading about first cars/best cars over on the 'week of the 20th' thread. Without the concept of 'best cars for "new drivers"', what was your 'first car' or 'best car' story.

… Best story I've heard was my brother's. Inherited my parents 1976 Volkswagen Rabbit when he went to college. He drove that thing around MN/WI and the Dakotas until there was more rust than metal. Drove for a month with cardboard covering a hole under the clutch/brake pedal until it got wet and 'went away at about 60 mph'. Ended up having a friend who was a welder tack some sheet-metal to the floor so he'd quit getting wet. He loved that car for some reason.
1975 Rabbit. New. Indestructible. Survived multiple Spring Breaks to the Keys and FLL, plus camping everywhere out west. Tons of stories. Woke up one morning in the Badlands surrounded by a herd of buffalo. Rather intimidating when you’re laying down looking up. Rolled up the tent while they watched, threw it in the hatchback and drove away.