View Single Post
Old 03-26-2023, 08:28 PM
ImWatchingTV
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2022

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
How many airports still sell Mogas apart from the occasional back country hillbilly airport?
We‘ve had many buy vs rent questions here and as far as my opinion is concerned when you rent the problem is not yours.
Thats worth something.
Additionally question the wisdom of buying something that is realistically day VFR only.
How valuable is doing the same 3hr crosscountry over and over again.
Yes, not all of your 1200-1500 hrs need to be high quality time, however if you’re not learning anything then this will eventually work against you.
You’re better off accumulating higher quality time over a longer period then rapidly useless.
Consider most varieties of flight time as a curve, you learn a lot initially then it tapers off.
Same with the usefulness of certain types.
For instance banner towing, I wouldn’t do that for longer then one season. Add 3-400 hrs quickly but it’s only two columns in your logbook, TT and PIC.
So in my opinion you’ll be better off renting a more expensive airplane and fly only night crosscountry on an IFR flightplan and bring a buddy so you can log sim instrument time.
Three hour flight, all night, all cross country, three airports, 6 approaches and 2 hrs sim instr.
You didn’t state how much longer you’d be in college for. Two more years? Seniority doesn’t mean anything if you can’t get hired because you don’t have the instrument skills to pass a training course.

I understand your sentiment, but I want to spend the least amount of time in a piston single at night as possible.