Gets Weekends Off
Bellanca
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Oct 2009
  • Position
    CFI/II/MEI
I would second getting out. First, the Airlines have a vested interest in retaining pilots at the regional level and not draining the feed they rely on so much. Welp until hard times hit then they'll throw you away like trash. Just ask ex TSA, Compass and expressjet (and many others before that are no longer in business). When a Trans States folded there were 30-35+ year guys that were some of the most loyal employees and they were just cast aside with everyone else, their loyalty and giving years is their lives meant NOTHING.

Second, there's lots of Stockholm syndrome going on at the RJ carriers. The grass IS greener elsewhere. When I got on at 5Y it was night and day better even with 17 day trips and whatnot. No more toxic micromanaging management that my regional carrier had, hotels/transportation/ benefits all better, we had company credit cards and company cellphones and resources. And they aren't known to be a stellar company to work for. I should have left the regional rat race years before I did. I probably would have gotten to mainline quicker.

As far as mainline goes QOL once off reserve is better than any schedule I had at the regionals or cargo. I commuted 1800 miles for 18 months (for good schedule and good flying) and I was still home on my bed more nights per month than when I was living a 20 mile drive from base at my regional. Over the past 6-7 months I've only worked 10-13 days per month. Commuting sucks, but I still have better QOL than living in base at a regional. Chase seniority and learn how to bid to maximize QOL. Or chase upgrade and hustle to make money. It's great to have options.

If your paycheck has a different name on it than the tail of the plane and the passenger tickets, then you are expendable when ish hits the fan. There's no such thing as loyalty in their eyes.