Thread: AA vs UAL
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2023, 06:47 AM
ComingInHot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2019

Originally Posted by LAXtoDEN View Post
Sorry I missed your reply. You can hold both ORD and LAX quicker at UAL. You can upgrade quicker at UAL with LAX. You can bid WB quicker at UAL and you can probably hold 777, maybe even 787 out of training with a short commute to SFO. UAL just makes more sense for where you want to live. I compare it to NYC DL vs AA, DL wins.

You will have faster seniority at AA but UAL is claiming they’re still going to hire another 6,000 pilots and keep growing. I call BS, the same person claiming that said they’d be first to a contract. UAL has hired over 4,000 pilots since the beginning of 2022. If the economy goes into an actual recession in the next year or two you’re hosed at UAL. UAL is over staffed at the moment. Those growth aircrafts will become replacements and maybe even orders cancelled overnight. I personally think SK is a master BS’er so UAL feels like a wildcard no matter what to me.

UAL has hired younger pilots than AA over the years. I think more of that has to do with AA hiring more MIL pilots on average over those years. I’m in my mid-late 20’s as well and would have retired close to 1% at AA when I ran the numbers last year. It’s not just about retirements but average age of pilots hired ahead of you.

It’s actually a tough choice but if you’re dedicated to the Los Angeles location I’d take the slight seniority hit and go to UAL.

I do believe if AA management can get their stuff together this could be a hell of a time to be hired at AA. Just like the 2013-2014 Delta hires who hit it perfect.
Thank you for all the information! I really appreciate it. I've been thinking about it for the past days and it's a tough decision to make, although I'm very humbled to be in this position.