View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 08:21 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

[quote=TurboFan;361585]I did a poor job of wording that. What I mean was that it's a bad combination (400KT fighter + 60KT C-152, same altitude). I understand it is procedure for you guys. I will definitely think twice next time I take a pinger out for a spin around an AF base.

As for the IR and VR routes; totally forgot about those. Thanks for the refresher course. It's been well over a year since I've looked at a sectional.

What about the fact that in the AOPA article it claims that the F-16 was flying in "close formation" with the PC-12? I understand sharing the skies, but following a pinger in close formation? Does that happen often?[/quote]

TF -

First part - yes it is a bad idea - but see and avoid is what VFR flying is all about. We keep a vigil lookout, use our radar, and get flight following as much as possible if VFR. Matter of fact - don't know about the AF, but the USN/USMC rules state that we shall file and fly under IFR rules to the maximum extent possible. One particular place that I fly out of A LOT is El Centro, CA. It is just north of I-8 and there is a bunch of VFR or IFR - I follow roads) traffic transiting from San Diego to places east bound. I have had numerous close calls and near mid-airs flying around there.

Second part - I would have to have them define "close formation". They may consider anything with a mile being close, but NO - flying in any formation with a civilian aircraft is not normal ops.

USMCFLYR