Thread: Few questions

Grumpyaviator , 03-31-2023 10:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off
Grumpyaviator
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Nov 2012
Quote: PBS is a tool. It's purpose is to utilize your individual seniority to the maxium as far as building a schedule that you want. Like any tool, if you understand how it works and use it properly it does and will work.

Your first preference line should be as specific as possible. (Example) 3 Day trips: weekends off: No DeadHeads: Report time 8 AM or Later: Release Time 2 PM or earlier: Credit 22 TFP or greater: JAX overnights: No night flights on a full moon: Ect.

Once the system arrives at your name it will build your month based on your first preference. Lets say there is only one trip availabe that meets the example above when it arrives at your name. You will be awarded that trip. Next the system will look at your second line preference. This is where you start dropping things that you don't absolutely prefer. Like the JAX overnights. The system will continue building your schedule until is has met the threshold for your month. You have to cascade your line preferences from most specific to least specific.

Those that don't understand how to bid using PBS might as well give the system a blank slate to build whatever it wants. And those people exist also. The key to PBS is to have as many line preferences as possible until all trips available for the month have been seqenced.

With that being said, PBS is also as effective as the parameters that the company sets. It is a program and will work as programed. This means that PBS has to have very clear and agreed to CBA language that covers every detail of it. Regionals abuse PBS by setting very restrictive parameters that benefit the company. This is why the union needs to have adequate control and oversight of what happens each month.

The big contention here at SWA is the vacation overlap rules that we have. Our current system is very inefficient for the company but suites us very well. PBS threatens this, and is exactly where the issue really is.

Someone earlier mentioned if vacation was overlapped onto your PBS awarded schedule after the fact, they would be on board. This would be a good option but the company would never agree to that because it is very costly for them and is inefficient.

I'm not arguing one way or the other. I just think that many here at southwest have never used PBS and dont fully understand how it works. We basically are already using PBS with apps like CrewBid. The difference is the lines are already built and in PBS the system would build your line...

Saying only top 15% will be benefited can be said about line bidding as well. How many lines do we have that are 3 day trips Tuesday through Thursday? You don't think that only the top 15 % can hold a line like that here? 17 year Captains here can't even hold weekends off.

You can still have elite and trip trading with PBS and maintain the same after award schedule flexabilty we are offered today. I'm just saying vacation and PBS are two different conversations. It's how you agree to using them together that really matters at the end of the day.

Feel free to attack now...
I agree, and even without overlap you can still maximize vacation. However, the point is moot at SWA.

I had a great experience with PBS as both senior and junior and even on reserve. But I would not vote yes for PBS at SWA because I don’t trust the union to negotiate and enforce the rules necessary for it to be beneficial, and will never trust the company to run it well.

PS. To say PBS only benefits the senior is laughable. Vacation bidding, ELITT and OT benefit relatively few at SWA. When the lower half of the SL (or even higher) have success it’s an outlier.