View Single Post
Old 04-07-2023, 05:58 AM
Russs
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2021

Originally Posted by Web265 View Post
I agree with most of this, but....it would still be difficult to do the retention bonus effectively. I know for myself, if I was looking to leave, I'd take the bonus and put it in an investment vehicle of some kind. If Delta / United / AA called, I'd jump and pay it back. How much would that retention bonus really have to be to be an effective deterrent to a career at the big three? It might help with the middle stop, ULCCs but it's not going to stop anyone from going to the big 3. FOs could make that up in year 2.

I don't pay attention to where folks are going all that closely, but, it seems to me that last bunch I've seen saying Adios on face space where on their way to a major.

No doubt there is no stopping attrition. I have to believe it would certainly help though. There would be a portion of those retained pilots that would not invest the bonus and then have it stashed away if they leave and need to pay back. Also, I think right now a large portion of FOs leaving are going to ULCCs. I look at the seniority numbers and most of the lost numbers are pilots behind me. I have not been here all that long. So that tells me they are taking the first offer available which at this stage is likely ULCC. There is no perfect or complete solution to the problem, but aside from waiting it out and being ok with pilot turnover until the hiring wave stops (which they may be perfectly content with), some incentive would definitely help IMO.